“Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them.”
ABOUT DEPARTMENTINTAKE - 120
Mechanical engineering has evolved from the practice by the mechanic of an art based largely on trial and error to the application by the professional engineer of the scientific method in research, design, and production. It is the branch of engineering concerned with the design, manufacture, installation, and operation of engines and machines and with manufacturing processes. It is particularly concerned with forces and motion. History of Mechanical Engineering dates to ancient Greece and China, where mechanisms like screw pumps, steam engines, clocks, seismometers, and even differential gears were invented. Chain drives, escarpments, crankshafts, and camshafts date to the middle ages. Mechanical engineering turned analytical with Newton’s Laws of Motion and the invention of calculus.
Mechanical Engineering, the branch of engineering concerned with the design, manufacture, installation, and operation of engines and machines and with manufacturing processes. It is particularly concerned with forces and motion. Mechanical engineering is a diverse subject that derives its breadth from the need to design and manufacture everything from small individual parts and devices to large machinery.
They apply the fundamentals of science and math to create practical, useful solutions that the rest of mankind can use. The mechanical engineer’s exclusive domain is the ability to analyze and design objects and systems with motion.
Who Makes a Good Mechanical Engineer?
- The best mechanical engineers truly enjoy complex problem solving. They are innovators at heart. If you choose engineering as a career, you will turn ideas into reality and solve problems that better society. You will be right on the cutting edge of technology.
- Since most mechanical engineers work together, you should be a team player and have excellent communication skills; both written and oral. This will be important when you are planning and creating new projects.
- You should also be curious, creative, innovative, and practical about how things work and the world around you. You should have the desire to help people and improve the world around you. At the very least, you should enjoy learning how to make things work more efficiently.
- Mechanical engineers are typically very good at math and science. You should especially enjoy working complex math problems.
- If you enjoy trying to solve complex problems, working with your hands as well as spending the day dreaming up solutions, then a career in mechanical engineering may be for you.
GOALS OF THE DEPARTMENTShort term Goals:
- Continuously striving to achieve good pass-percentage by pedagogical training.
- Preparing students for national level competitive exams like GATE,CAT,GRE & other PSU exam
- Producing graduates with moral values and meeting the demand of industries.
- Conducting programmes which enhance innovative skills in students.
- To enable the engineering graduates to become entrepreneurs at the end of their degree.
- To establish a research centre to cater the needs of local industries.
- To train people of the department to work on recent advancements in the field of mechanical engineering in order to have patentable projects.
- Establish various centres of excellence to train the people on the need based technology of mechanical engineering.